Swim At Your Own Risk: Memoirs Of A Barracuda

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Memoirs Of A Barracuda


Steve,
I was surprised to see that the authenticity of the completely unprovoked amputation of my finger and part of my hand in Cozumel last year referred to as if it were doubtful. I have bloody photographs to prove it, and anyone is welcome to look at my hand. I have swum with barracudas for 50 years since infancy, never before seen aggressive behavior by them to humans, and always asserted that such attacks did not occur without cause (such as a dead fish in the hand, failed spearing attempts, shiny objects, etc.), but none of these factors were present in my case. My daughter, who saw the entire attack at close range, was an independent on-site witness, and still suffers tremendous psychological trauma from it.

Following the attack I received hundreds of messages from around the world describing attacks or near attacks, and it is clear that these are far more common than commonly thought, although much less frequent than shark attacks.

I feel that it is important to document such cases properly. The nature and animal TV stations seem to show shark attack videos several times every day, yet barracuda attacks have never been properly documents and are ignored. I sought no publicity over my attack, and it was never reported, but had reporters in Cozumel attempted to do so it would have been suppressed as “bad for tourism”.

Best wishes,
Tom

-------------------

Tom,
I have personally seen a diver get hit in the face by a barracuda at night, the impact broke the divers mask and shattered his eye socket and gashed his face, which required reconstructive surgery.

Barracuda are clear water sight feeders. They are fish eaters and feed 24 hours a day. Their attaack is reactive and explosive, at speeds up to 45 miles per hour. They feed on fish both smaller and larger than their own size. They have distinct sets of teeth...short triangular (usally not noticed by divers) and the very long spike looking teeth which interlock in the jaws. The smalll teeth are for cutting prey in the initial attack, then after the initial attack, the barracuda will grab and hold the part to be eaten with the long teeth. The speed and impact is incredible. The prey is usually cut cleanly in half (right behind the head) leaving the “good part” to be eaten.

I had known for years that barracuda are highly attracted to shiney objects. As such, I dove in only black or dark equipment. I’m positive that the barracuda (about 4 feet) attacked the clear silicone mask I was wearing. The masks frame is highly reflective particularly when exposed to light. The mask also saved my life. I now wear an identical mask (solid black). Other than the teeth penetrating the silicone, the frame and glass withstood the impact.

I had two nasal arteries severed and a complete major orbital blowout which required reconstructive surgery after finally getting back to the US. The saga continues...I will have more surgery on the 24th of this month to repair (open) a tear duct that has been crushed closed since the attack. It has caused the eye to water constantly and was the source of the mother of all eye infections.

Now, barracuda attacks are NOT limited to snorklers. I understand there was a female snorkler who was attacked in the neck in Mexico and bled to death. In August of 2003, there were two divers attacked at the Flower Gardens on the same night, diving on two different boats. One male videographer, one female diver. They both experienced very bad hematomas but no lacerations. It would appear that the barracuda struck bright D-rings on the equipment (reflecting light).

Steve